Monday 13 February 2012

TU PARLE ANGLAIS?!

My French is awful. How do I know this? I have just come back from Paris and struggled greatly. A phrasebook is definitely needed. I spent the whole trip saying 'Tu parle anglais' to the french all the time! If they replied with 'non' it was time to walk away. 
As a vegetarian, it was so hard. I was forever picking the meat out my food because it'd been translated to poorly.


However the main reason of the trip, for college, was perfect. The first real thing we did, was visit a Jean-Paul Goude exhibition in the Fashion and Textile Museum. Fabulous. Amazing. Fantastic. Unreal. I could go on and on. It was truly one of the most inspiration exhibitions I have ever seen. The word 'Genius' springs to mind. 








Then we got free time to visit the Eiffel Tower, Arc Du Triomph, Champs Elysees, basically time to shop. It was so beautiful to be able to wander through Paris and properly see Paris. The architecture, the lifestyle, it was cold, but when you remembered where you were, you could just forget it.
Wednesday morning was another shopping experience, We got to wander throught the Gallerie LaFayette, expensive! 
'I'm in between Chanel and Gucci, finally home'
was one phrase that came out of there.
Then we visited the amazing Pierre Cardin museum.
Now, in college, we are always told to look at his work, told how amazing it is, and if I'm honest, I thought nothing of him, purely because you cannot find images of his work anywhere. The books are like £50+ to buy, and my local libraries dont have them, so I always dismissed him. 
How I wish I'd never. The museum is one of the most fantastic eye opening inspirational places I have ever visited. Over 200 pieces of his Haute Couture work, there, in front of you, to touch, to feel, to admire. It was a jaw dropping experience. 
Unfortunately, pictures weren't allowed, but, I would definitely recommend buying a book, or if you are going to visit Paris, go see this museum. You will never look at fashion the same, nor will you ever work the same. It's just, insane.
Thursday was the day for the small town and vintage shops. This where I knew I'd spend all my money.
We visited 2 vintage shops in Marais  where in total I spent about £35 on 4 items. Its and expensive town for everything but its vintage.
But then, to the experience I will never forget. In Montemartre, we went to a vintage shop. A Thierry Mugler jacket for 50euros. I wanted it. I fitted well. It was amazing. Except, it was in terrible condition, and would have cost so much to repair and would just never be the same again, so I walked away. I am not going to lie to you, a little tear slipped from my eye. That, is strength. 

All in all, I had an amazing time, all my college friends and I became so much closer, we've laughed a hell of a lot, we cried a bit, we shouted a but, but ultimately, they are amazing, I am going to miss them so much when I leave, I have never had a set of friends like these. I can be myself, and they might hate me sometimes, and I might hate them sometimes too, but at the end of the day, we work together, we play together, we spend so much time together, and they are my friends. I've been on a journey with them. These 2 years have been difficult, and they've ridden the rollercoaster with me, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Blog Archive